Saturday, June 20, 2009

Put Your Dreams To The Test


Reading a book by John Maxwell called "Put Your Dreams To The Test". John gives us an example from Starbucks founder Howard Schultz.

Businessman Howard Schultz, who came from a very humbled background, used the fertile soil of his imagination to help him cultivate the idea of Starbucks, the company he founded. Schultz says,

"One thing I've noticed about romantics: They try to create a new and better world from the drabness of everyday life. That is Starbuck's aim too. We try to create, in our stores, an oasis, a little neighborhood spot where you can take a break, listen to some jazz, or ponder universal or personal or even whimsical questions over a cup of coffee."
Who dreams up such a place?
From my personal experience, I'd say that the more uninspiring your origins, the more likely you are to use your imagination and invent worlds where everything seems possible.

Maxwell goes on in his book to ask 10 questions that are crucial in obtaining your dream:

1. The Ownership Question: Is my dream really my dream?

2. The Clarity Question: Do I clearly see my dream?

3. The Reality Question: Am I depending on factors within my control to achieve my dream?

4. The Passion Question: Does my dream compel me to follow it?

5. The Pathway Question: Do I have a strategy to reach my dream?

6. The People Question: Have I included the people to realize my dream?

7. The Cost Question: Am I willing to pay the price for my dream?

8. The Tenacity Question: Am I moving closer to my dream?

9. The Fulfillment Question: Does working towards my dream bring satisfaction?

10. The Significance Question: Does my dream benefit others?

I believe that if you really explore each question, examine yourself honestly, and answer yes to all of them, the odds of achieving your dream are very good. The more yeses you can answer, the more on target you are to fulfill your dreaming. I truly believe that everyone has the potential to imagine a worthwhile dream, and most have the ability to achieve it. And it doesn't matter how big or how seemingly outrageous your dream appears to others if your answers are yes to the "Dream Test" questions.

For more information on John Maxwell, go to: www.johnmaxwell.com



No comments:

Post a Comment