Saturday, July 13, 2013

Goodbye to a True Role Model, Mentor, Friend

Last night, I learned that my high school basketball coach, Bob Sutter passed away earlier in the day. My first reaction was of shock, because if there was a man that would truly live forever, it would have been Coach Sutter.

Coach was one of three role models in my life that made an impact on me. He came to North Beach High School when I was a 7th grader. He was someone I wanted to be like. All the girls were in love with him. In today's society, kids wanted to be like Mike, I wanted to be like Coach!!!

Coach always demanded your best, whether it was in math class or be it on the football field, basketball court, baseball diamond, or on the track. He had a special way of making you feel good about yourself.

Coach Sutter was a father figure in my life, when I needed one. My own father died when I was 9, and he was one man I totally looked up to. When I coach today, there are things I say and do that remind me so much of Coach.

Coach taught me to always think of others before self. Until his passing, he continued that way of life. In 2009, when my team lost a tough semi-final district tournament game, and we had to bounce back to play the next day, he was there for me to lend support. I have never forgotten that, and I let him know how much that meant to me.

He was the ultimate role model. You never saw Coach in trouble. Coach Sutter was devoted family man and was devoted to our school and to every student that walked the halls of North Beach High School.

Coach is survived by his wife of 42 years, JoAnn, two beautiful daughters, Julie and Angie. I thank them for sharing their husband and father with all of us for so many years.

I hadn't talked to Coach in about 6 months. I wish I had told Coach more often how thankful I was for what he did for me. To let Coach know how much he meant to me, how truly special he was to me and every student he helped along the way. Coach, I love you and will miss you and I will never forget the things you taught me. You left this world a much better place than you found it. You impacted so many people and you truly will be missed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment